5.06.2011

Crew Taylor Shumway

Choosing a name is always the hardest thing for Sam and I to agree on. After discussing prospective names for months we both immediately liked the name Crew. After that we didn't ever discuss it, so Crew it is! Taylor is Sam's brother's name and also my mom's maiden name, so double family points for his middle name. (I'm going to forget that Crew and Taylor are both main characters in Sam's favorite childhood movie, Rad, and tell myself that had no influence on Sam's decision in naming our son.)From the beginning I was apprehensive about having a repeat C-section. I really preferred to have a VBAC, but was not given that option. In fact, (in my opinion) a lot of things are lacking when it comes to east coast heath care. I don't have the energy to rant about all that now, but let's just say I won't be having any more babies out here.I can't complain about the actual delivery, it was the 9 months prior to the delivery that were so frustrating. I was scheduled for an 8am C-section on Monday April 18th. We arrived at 6am to start the pre-op paper work, IV, etc. At exactly 8am I was wheeled into the OR and given a spinal block. This went WAY better than my epidural with Landon. By 8:10 I was numb and sliced open and Sam was allowed in the room. The Dr was assisted by his PA which was cool to see what might be in store for Sam in the next few months, he also walked Sam through the whole procedure because he knew Sam was a student. I tried to block everything out and just relax, at one point the nurse said, "Maybe she doesn't want to hear about all that." I didn't really mind, I think it's all pretty interesting. By 8:23 the baby was out and crying loudly. I hardly felt any pressure or tugging during the delivery, as I did with Landon. As soon as I saw Crew, I said, "He's tiny!". The dr informed me that at a week early, he was NOT tiny at 8lbs 13oz. Crew also looks just like Landon... just less chubby. Over all I was VERY pleased with how quick and comfortable the delivery went!The next 4 days were not as comfortable. Sam was there for the delivery, then had to run to school for a 4 hour lab. Terry and Landon came to visit, and my good friend Katie. After the first day I had no visitors... and was quite happy about it! I was able to sleep and hold my baby. With the exception of severe pain every time I moved and a couple crazy nurses the whole birth experience was quite pleasant.

5 comments:

Sara Nixon said...

Your birth story was the only one ever that I actually read the whole thing! Short and sweet! I love the pic on the scale. It looks like he could barely fit! Can't wait to meet him! See you soon!

Spenc, Nikki, and the Littles said...

I have to laugh a little because I saw the pics of Crew on the scale and said to Spencer "He's big" only to read on and see that you said he was little. Either way, he is a cutie and I LOVE the photos of Landon with him. Hope that you have recovered well!

dasrls said...

Congrats! He is adorable.

s.s. bazodi said...

baaaaaabus! I think he looks a lot more like you than Landon. Love the bum photo.

Stock Family said...

Congrats!! He is so cute! I love the pic of him on the scale, too cute!